I'm just using XML on the backend for content management and as
a way to standardize what I recieve from partners and content folks,
then storing parsed content in a database from which I output text, HTML,
and/or XML.

XML::Parser suits quite fine for the above. So, Perl has plenty of XML support,
imo.

I've taken a look at what Matt is up to and I'm intrigued, but don't have a need
for it as yet.

Joshua,  what is the itch that you are scratching if you care to opine?

Ed