[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark D Wolinski) wrote:
>Okay, first, I have not read the manual completely...
>
>So, what I'm looking for is where can I find information on the following,
>if possible (I have both the Eagle and can look up the Guide as well)...
>
>I have an app that can't be run under mod_perl right now because it's
>awfully dirty.  However, in working to transition it to a new version which
>uses mySQL, I'm going to fix parts of it to run under mySQL.  Basically get
>the data transfered to the database while the new version is being written.
>
>Is it possible for a very dirty app, and ugly code to benefit from a
>persistant DB connection but not run under mod_perl directly?

Kind of.  Yes, you can usually get dirty apps to run under mod_perl by
using Apache::PerlRun.  Sometimes they're even too dirty for that,
though.  Try it out.

But one question here is whether persistent mysql connections will speed
things up for you.  In my experience: no.  Connecting under mysql is so
fast that there's no need to cache connections.  Oracle, on the other
hand, profits *greatly* from connection caching.

Of course, if you really care about this you ought to test your specific
situations before you decide.

  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                            The Math Forum