On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Nathan Wiger wrote:

> Hi all-
>
> I've written a module that can parse the Apache httpd.conf config file
> (and in fact any Apache-like config file). It will take a set of
> directive like:
>
>      ServerName         www.mydomain.com
>      UseCanonicalName   Off
>
> And parse it case-insensitively, returning a ref to a hash:
>
>     my $ac = new Apache::Config;
>     my $conf = $ac->readconf($configfile);
>     print $conf->{servername};       # = "www.mydomain.com";
>     print $conf->{usecanonicalname}; # = 0   (not undef so can test
>                                      #        for defined() still)

it would be really cool if this module could support dumping of a parsed
config file into the same format that <Perl> sections understand.  and the
other way around, dumping a <Perl> section back into a .conf that Apache
can read without <Perl> sections.

> In any case, I have several questions:
>
>     1. Does a module like this exist anywhere?  I saw Doug's
>        Apache::httpd_conf, but this only takes care of writing
>        a very minimal config file. I looked thru all the
>        Apache:: modules but didn't see one.

yeah, Apache::httpd_conf was something that was started and never
finished.  i think ken williams is working on something in this area, for
modules to write test config files.

>     2. Is the name Apache::Config a good name for this module?
>        It seems like the obvious choice to me, and doesn't
>        look like it's taken. I've also played around with
>        Apache::ConfigFile and Apache::ReadConf, either of
>        which I'm open to as well (or other suggestions?).

i'd go with Apache::ConfigFile.