Hello!

Sorry about the lack of response. I was very busy the last few days.

On Tuesday, 2000-08-22 at 11:26:00 +0200, Stas Bekman wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Lupe Christoph wrote:

> > I thought about it a little more. What is does is find the
> > (cpu|real)time taken to process a request. So what about
> > Apache::RequestTimer or maybe Apache::Perf::RequestTimer, creating
> > a new namespace for all performance-related modules?

> Both sound good time, especially the second :)

Apache::Perf::RequestTimer it is. then. The next version will
carry the new name (whatever it does ;-).

> > I'll include a first shot at such a program in the next release.
> > After the naming discussion has settled down.

Seems I'm committed ;-)

> > This times the entire request. I'll split the CPU times out in times
> > for the Apache process and that for it and all it's children in the
> > nect release to accomodate CGI. Can't do anything about FastCGI
> > and such things that run independent of the Apache process.

> If you are going to make it non-mod_perl specific (if I understand your
> intentions correctly) you shouldn't put it under Apache:: tree.

Nope. I'll stick to mod_perl. But it is not mod_perl-specific in
what it measures.  You can use it to measure PHP and mod_<foo>.
It just uses mod_perl. FastCGI and kin use external processes,
for which this approach can't gather CPU statistics.

> > Is anybody running Apache+mod_perl under Win32 who could see if
> > times() and Time::HiRes give you timings of any significance
> > on that platform?

Hmm, no response to this. I'll usethe skeet shooting approach.
Launch and see if it gets shot down.

> > As for statistics, I'm thinking about splitting out the host
> > first, second the method (GET, POST, etc), then the URI, with the
> > request string removed, maybe the request strings under the URI
> > at a later time.

> A good advise would be to let the user to specify the format, following
> for example the same format that one uses to specify log format in Apache,
> may be with extra tokens, which are unavailable by Apache.

I thought about this, too. It's a little much for a first shot,
unless somebody has code I can borrow. And then, this might be
a nice module in itself...

> BTW, the time taken to server the request is already there: %...{format}t:

Have you tried that? It gives you entire seconds! That's why I started
on this module in the first place.

> > Print the top <n> requests by user CPU, system CPU, realtime.
> > Do that in plain text and HTML, with graphs later.

> BTW, Apache::VMonitor does that this in the real time, for the last
> request.

I'll have a look at that. maybe there's code waiting to be stolen...

--
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]       |        http://free.prohosting.com/~lupe |
| "jryy vg ybbxf yvxr gur l2x oht qvqa'g erne vg'f htyl urnq." "lrc. gur |