> Also, another piece of advice for what it's worth.  If your going to
> add SSL, build and test apache with mod-perl first, and then go back
> and add SSL.  There may well be a work-around that I'm not aware of,
> but basically the problem is that mod-ssl is looking for an encryption
> key on startup, and mod-perl doesn't know anything about that.  The
> result is that the server won't start and the mod-perl tests won't run.

Better yet, don't put mod_perl and mod_ssl on the same server.  The
mod_perl guide has an excellent section on running seperate 'light' and
'heavy' servers.  Basically you want to have a front end mod_ssl 'light'
server for images and HTML, and 'heavy' server backend for mod_perl.  All
requests get tunneled through the 'light' server by using
mod_proxy so as long as the traffic between your 'light' and 'heavy'
servers is secure, you'll be fine.

See
http://perl.apache.org/guide/strategy.html#Do_Not_Put_mod_ssl_into_a_mod_pe