--On 08/26/00 18:51:31 +0200 Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Heh, obviously you have to supply the password on the server startup,
> unless you use one of the workarounds described in the ssl docs
> (secured utility that feeds the passwd is the best IMHO).

Naw, something else is going on and I just haven't had the time ( or
inclination -- all the pieces are working together without a hitch) to
really investigate it.  I, in fact, run my SSL servers as you suggest
since I don't like to be around to have to provise a password.  The
crux of the problem is that mod-perl, in it's test phase, is quit
unaware -- or seems to be -- of any configuration outside of what it
sets up for itself when running 'make test'.  Moreover, if you're
building for the first time, you won't have anything in place yet.

> And of course like many have mentioned already, it's better to install
> mod_ssl and alike in the front end server. See an extensive
> discussion in the mail archives and somewhere in the guide.

The problem with light and heavy servers is that what is technically
the best option and corporate culture often clash with corporate
culture winning more often than not.  To use mod_proxy on a "light" SSL
server acting as a mirror for the real beast requires certain
constraints in how links are specified (this we all know).  I work in
higher education, a 4 year college to be exact.  We have a webmaster
who is really only in charge of content.  I'm the technical systems
guy.  But even though content is the webmaster's job, he hasn't got
complete control.  Many a professor is in charge of various academic
departmental web pages.  You talk about relative links and he has no
idea what you're talking about, and doesn't want to know.  Nor is he
willing to change the way he does things, he hasn't got time to learn a
new tool, etc, etc, etc.....  And the thing with tenured faculty is
they win -- even in cases where they're being totally uncooperative (I
decided to be polite here) for no reason other than they don't feel
like being cooperative.

We use SSL on our main external server because enrollment will soon be
taking on-line applications and payment for distance learning and our
bookstore is doing e-commerce, and everybody wants they're URL to be
the main campus server.  So, what you say is absolutely true is we
lived in an ideal world where the technically best option defined the
course of action because it was technically best.  But we live in a
world where non-technical issues cloud the decision process, and for
non-technical reasons we are sometimes stuck with a technically poor
solution.

BTW Stas, I haven't downloaded the current version of the guide, I'm
using 1.24 so my comments might be dated.  But, if folks in the US
simply follow your instructions they will be illegal even after Sept
21.  Using the rsaref libraries is an absolute requirement.  Take a
look at the mod_ssl install instructions and you might want to
incorporate them in the guide at the appropriate spot.  Just a
suggestion.

-- Rob

     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

  Rob Tanner
  McMinnville, Oregon
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]