I have to chime in a little (also noting that we have drifted a bit
off the original topic...)

While working for a large company as the Chief Architect for the web
group I was faced with the same need to investigate template options
-  within the discussion of Build or Buy. And yes, JSP (and ATG
Dynamo) were on the list of potential buy options.

I took a novel approach: Since I am an engineer, and can only really
think like one, I _asked_ the web designers, and the web technicians,
and the programming and management staff what their needs were. I'll
summarize as briefly as I can below:

   o The designers do not like any template structure that uses the
     angle bracket notation <foo>. It makes some wysiwyg editors unhappy
     to see foreign tags, and in the current race to HTML4.0 strict, new
     tags make the validation tools (which have to be applied
     pre-template-parsing, of course) unhappy.

   o There are actually 3 groups involved, and separation of function
     as much as possible allows the three groups to work independently on
     a project without requiring concurrent editing of the same file.

     - HTML coders
     - Behavior (the perl or java code)
     - Resources (pulling in images or other referenced objects)

     With the templating options discussed so far, you tie the HTML
     coders and the perl/java coders to editing the same file. Separation
     of these two is really key, according to those I asked. The Project
     Managers like the separation too.

   o Don't forget localization. None of the existing products that we were
     able to look at handled localization of templates. Localization must
     be handled by HTTP accept headers and/or manual overriding.

   o Virtual hosts are real, and template reuse, especially across VHs,
     while allowing for VH specific customization (driven by the perl/java
     or configuration) is a nicety.

We ended up developing our own solution, using mod_perl. By the way,
performance tested against ATG's Dynamo, it performed 500 - 700%
faster.

FWIW.