Mike,

I think many developers share a similar desire to not
have projects (that leverage free software) close down
what are really generic programming techniques,
routines, classes, protocols, etc.  And further,
we'd like to contribute enhancements and documentation
based upon our work.

I'd like to find a lawyer who has experience and/or
want to pursue legal means of removing the friction
that keeps us from giving back. Part of that work would
of course involve contract writing/editing. I'm hiring.
Contact me if you are such.

It is up to you to educate your potential employers
about just how much of what you do is pior open
art and how free software can empower them.
That means the first contract has to be amended.
;-)

Be very explicit about your intentions from the get go,
and repeat yourself a few times; never assume they'll
look at the code or even closely read your written
self-description.

Ed