Why would the lack of a $r->send_http_header call cause socket persistence
to go away?  I was under the impression that $r->send_http_header only affected
what was sent to the client, but appearantly it affects Apache's socket handling
as well.

When I don't use $r->send_http_header, my sockets are dying after Apache's
response to the 1st query...dying from the apache side, not the client side.  I have
my test client hard-coded to keep the socket open and send keepalives on every
request.

Since I don't want the server to send headers, but I want socket persistence, I'm in
a bind.  I've tried tracing through the apache source and commenting out stuff I
don't need (manually removing headers, the ugly way).  However I cannot find the
code segiment that prints the outbound hexidecimal message size (which I also
want to remove), so I'm stuck for the moment.

It seems I need to know 1 of 2 things:
1) How do you keep sockets open when $r->send_http_header isn't used
2) how can I make apache stop printing the outbound message size on each response

Any help will be appreciated!

Brian