Hi Geoff,

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Geoffrey Young wrote:
> > Ged mumbled:
> > Won't Perl then just keep that memory until the child dies...?
>
> that is my understanding... I guess that my point was that if you
> are going to have the data in perl somewhere the memory is going to
> be taken (for example, putting it in a tempfile but then local $/
> and slurp).

Right.  I think people are much too fond of slurping in whole files in
that way.  It's OK in development, then some villain sends you tewnty
megabytes instead of twenty bytes.  Clang.  It's a little more work to
break things up into some smaller pieces but you can gain a lot in
efficiency sometimes.

73,
Ged.