> I also never build mod_perl as a DSO.  For the life of me I can't
> understand why so many people do it, and then they act all surprised
> when things go wrong.

I do it out of a desire to not have multiple builds of apache lying around
for the various needs I have of each service I run. For those that run on
a small handful of service types, DSO may not be as handy, but when you
run more than 10 distinct service types, each requiring their own set of
modules added or removed, you become thankful for just needing alternate
configuration files than having multiple builds of apache hanging around.
You become much more thankful when it comes time to upgrade to the next
minor version of apache.

Regards,
Christian