Richard> That's a neat idea.

Richard> The only quibble I can think of is that this doesn't go far enough.
Richard> This lower level of privilege we're talking about is one in which -

Richard>   1) Only specific Perl modules are available (or ones in specific
Richard>      paths; no literal 'sub { ... }' handlers)
Richard>   2) PerlSetEnv (and PerlPassEnv?) aren't usable
Richard>   3) PERL5LIB isn't changeable
Richard>   4) <Perl> sections are unavailable

I think y'all are missing it.  As soon as I have any Perl code access
via Apache::Registry or anything like that, I can do this:

        *Apache::Registry::handler = \&my_trojan_horse;

Unless you use "Safe", any access to any Perl invocation means you are
insecure.

So mod_perl is inherently unsafe.  Either you have access to Perl, or
you don't.  And when you don't, you might as well invent a meta-API,
like the one I suggested with Template Toolkit.  You can't use the
generic tools... they're too powerful.