Tim Bunce wrote:

> > I looked through the code and couldn't see how you are doing i/o
> > flushing.  This is more of an issue with Berkeley DB than SDBM I think,
> > since Berkeley DB will cache things in memory.  Can you point to me it?
>
> I'm puzzled why people wouldn't just use version 3 of Berkeley DB (via
> DB_File.pm or BerkeleyDB.pm) which supports multiple readers and
> writers through a shared memory cache.  No open/close/flush required
> per-write and very very much faster.
>
> Is there a reason I'm missing?

I'm not sure I want to go the shared memory route, generally,
and if I were to, I'd likely start with like you say BerkeleyDB
or IPC::Cache.  I know there isn't much of a learning curve,
but its not complexity that I want to add to the system I'm
working on now.  I've been doing stuff like MLDBM::Sync for
a while making DBMs work in multiprocess environment, and its
comforting.  1000 reads/writes per second is enough for my
caching needs now, as its just a front end to SQL queries.

--Joshua