We are finally planning to "do the right thing" and have a light weight and
heavy weight server. Our problem is that our (immediate) users set up
the protections for each directory with .htaccess files - and they use
PerlAuthzHandler and PerlAuthenHandlers - so to decide if a file can be
delivered requires modperl.

   So the solution I have come up with is to proxyPass any request
requiring authentication to the modperl server.  Any existing solution
is welcome!  The approach I am trying though is:
   - write an authentication module (in C) to add to the light weight
     server.  All it does is bunce the request to the heavy server. This
     is figuring if apache invokes this module authentication is being
     attemtped.

  Problem: something is still seeing and complaining about the
PerlAuthenHandler stuff.  I have pulled (I believe) all the other
authentation and authorization modules - why and which apache aspect
might be doing this???

  A concern: in my module I do a REDIRECT to the heavy weight.  Doesn't this
does so well??

  THanks,  Bob Waldstein  [EMAIL PROTECTED]