If you are using shared repositories for the front-end and heavy
server you can modify the filename used for .htaccess in the apache
config file.  (See the AccessFileName entry)

So, you could put the config for the heavy server in .htaccess_heavy
and the front-end config in .htaccess.

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 12:05:14PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>   We are finally planning to "do the right thing" and have a light weight and
> heavy weight server. Our problem is that our (immediate) users set up
> the protections for each directory with .htaccess files - and they use
> PerlAuthzHandler and PerlAuthenHandlers - so to decide if a file can be
> delivered requires modperl.
>
>    So the solution I have come up with is to proxyPass any request
> requiring authentication to the modperl server.  Any existing solution
> is welcome!  The approach I am trying though is:
>    - write an authentication module (in C) to add to the light weight
>      server.  All it does is bunce the request to the heavy server. This
>      is figuring if apache invokes this module authentication is being
>      attemtped.
>
>   Problem: something is still seeing and complaining about the
> PerlAuthenHandler stuff.  I have pulled (I believe) all the other
> authentation and authorization modules - why and which apache aspect
> might be doing this???
>

>   A concern: in my module I do a REDIRECT to the heavy weight.  Doesn't this
> does so well??
>
>   THanks,  Bob Waldstein  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Paul Lindner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Red Hat Inc.