Here's my long-winded setup.  I'm not sure how smart or dumb these settings
are, but they work for me on a machine with 1GB or RAM.  Note that I had to
change the semaphore settings too to get IPC::SharedCache to work without
complaint.

-John

---

*
* Shared memory settings changed by John Siracusa 9/19/2000
*

* Maximum size of system V shared memory segment that can be
* created. This parameter is an upper limit that is checked before the
* system sees if it actually has the physical resources to create the
* requested memory segment (default 1048576, max MAXINT/MAXINT64)

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax = 8388608

* Minimum size of system V shared memory segment that can be created
* (default 1, max <amount of physical memory>

* set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin = 1

* System wide limit on number of shared memory segments that can be
* created (default 100, max MAXINT)

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni = 10000

* Limit on the number of shared memory segments that any one process
* can create (default 6, max 32767)

set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg = 10000

*
* Semaphore settings changed by John Siracusa 9/19/2000
*

* Maximum number of semaphore identifiers (default 10, max 65535)

set semsys:seminfo_semmni = 60000

* Maximum number of System V semaphores on the system (default 60, max
MAXINT)

set semsys:seminfo_semmns = 500000

* Maximum value a semaphore can be set to (default 32767, max 65535)

* set semsys:seminfo_semvmx = 60000

* Max number of semaphores per semaphore identifier (default 25, max MAXINT)

* set semsys:seminfo_semmsl = 100

* Maximum number of System V semaphore operations per semop(2)
* call. This parameter refers to the number of sembufs in the sops
* array that is provided to the semop() system call (default 10, max MAXINT)

* set semsys:seminfo_semopm = 50

* Maximum number of System V semaphore undo structures that can be
* used by any one process (default 10, max MAXINT)

* set semsys:seminfo_semume = 50

* Maximum value that a semaphore's value in an undo structure can be set to
* (default 16385, max 65535)

* set semsys:seminfo_semaem = 60000