Leon Brocard wrote:

> Jeremy Howard sent the following bits through the ether:
>
> > IMHO, the best open source WebMail servers are PHP based:
>
> In Perl, there's also WING: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~mbeattie/wing/ and
> my oh-my-god-it's-still-in-development-and-I'm-still-breaking-
> the-CVS-version-and-it-still-doesn't-have-the-features-I-want-it-to:
> http://astray.com/acmemail/devel/

I've heard of WING, but the information at that URL is really scarce,
and missing things like screenshots and/or a demo version to give you a
good idea of what it does.  There are a lot of webmail systems out
there... but I haven't seen any that have all the features that we
needed. So, instead of trying them out, I just picked one that looked
easy to extended and started adding the features that I needed.

I've taken the stable version of acmemail, and hacked in what we needed:
S/MIME encryption/decryption/verifiying, nested IMAP folders using MH,
the ability to add/rename/delete folders, our own look, some user
configurability (block sigs, poll times, icon/label prefs, etc, so far).

I didn't realize that there was a devel version of acmemail in CVS, or I
would have hacked on that instead. However, I'm hoping that my changes
can get into CVS eventually, as CVS has message threading, better
session stuff, theme support, and other stuff.

As for scalability... the only problem I've seen, is when users open up
a folder that is really big (20MB), and the load on the IMAP server goes
up.  Hopefully that problem will be gone when the server is replaced
with a Dual PIII-800, loads of RAM, and multiple SCSI drives in Raid 5,
instead of the Celeron 500 with a single IDE drive that it is right now.

--
Regards,

Wim Kerkhoff, Software Engineer
Merilus Technologies, Inc.