On Dec 17, Philip Mak wrote:
> I don't really know what to do to fix this, other than typing
> /sbin/reboot. Looking at "top" doesn't show any very big processes, so I
> suspect it might be being caused by a large number of small processes.

try running vmstat and seeing if there are a lot of process blocked.
(the second column in vmstat on linux and freebsd.) then see how many
httpd process you have running. then see what files they are serving
and to who. (mod_status is useful for that last one.)

you may find that you're pushing a lot of large files to people on
slow connections (like international ones), which is causing the
number of apache servers to pile up and push you into swap. once
that happens, it is usually a spiral of doom from there.

and of course, http://perl.apache.org/guide/performance.html is
your friend.

jim