Philip Mak wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been having the following problem with my machine (400MHz, 192 MB
> RAM, 8.4 GB SCSI disk):
>
> 1:27am  up 3 days,  7:33,  8 users,  load average: 24.07, 14.76, 9.20
>
> Every once in a while, the load average gets up to a very high level (at
> this point, programs start getting "Out of memory!" errors, etc.).
>
> I don't really know what to do to fix this, other than typing
> /sbin/reboot. Looking at "top" doesn't show any very big processes, so I
> suspect it might be being caused by a large number of small processes.

Use Apache::Resource, PerlModule everything you can
especially Apache::ASP, and use Apache::ASP->Loader()
to precompile your scripts.  If you are getting
out of memory errors, make sure your MaxRequests are
low (<200 often), MaxClients low (<100 often), and use a
mod_proxy server in front to help offload requests.

If you are really curious as to what your httpd is doing,
fire it up under -X (standalone mode) and strace it in
a development environment with adequate representation
from the access_log.

--Josh

P.S.  If you need a blitz tune of your environment, I could
make some time for consulting work, I deal well with Linux,
Solaris, MySQL & Oracle.

NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring   Huntington Beach, CA  USA