> hi,
>
> once again, steering off-topic ... :(
>
> I've got a nice little module (Mail::Vmailmgr) I am trying to bundle
> in the standard CPAN fashion, so that it has a proper Makefile.PL,
> etc.
>
> I am following my Perl Cookbook, recipe 12.8 ... steps taken:
>
> % h2xs -AX -n Mail::Vmailmgr
> % cd Mail/
> % vi Vmailmgr.pm
>
> and wrote all of my module there, picking what h2xs had prepared.
> Now when I follow the next step, it fails:
>
> % make dist
> make: *** No rule to make target `dist'.  Stop.
>
> And neither `man perlmod`, `man perlmodlib`, CPAN or O'Reilly's
> errata page has any hint ...
>
> Now many fellow hackers here seem to be releasing successfully to
> CPAN... so ... what's the secret? What am I missing? (a neuron or
> two, maybe?)
>

> martin

Try
man perlxs
man xsubpp
man ExtUtils::MakeMaker

for some more documentation.

Quick Start
your Makefile.PL should look something like this for one of my perl
only modules. It is only slightly different for modules that contain
C generated stuff.

use ExtUtils::MakeMaker;
# See lib/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm for details of how to influence
# the contents of the Makefile that is written.
WriteMakefile(
    'NAME'              => 'BZS::Access',
    'VERSION_FROM'      => 'Access.pm', # finds $VERSION
    'PREREQ_PM'         => {'BZS::CryptHash'    => '2.04'},
     'dist'              =>
                       {COMPRESS=>'gzip', SUFFIX=>'gz'}
);

Michael