> What I would like to see though is instead of killing the
> child based on VmRSS on Linux, which seems to be the apparent
> size of the process in virtual memory RAM, I would like to
> kill it based on the amount of unshared RAM, which is ultimately
> what we care about.

We added that in, but haven't contributed a patch back because our hack only
works on Linux.  It's actually pretty simple, since the data is already
there on Linux and you don't need to do any special tricks with remembering
the child init size.  If you think it would help, I'll try to get an okay to
release a patch for it.

This is definitely a better way to do it than by setting max size or min
shared size.  We had a dramatic improvement in process lifespan after
changing it.

- Perrin