Ok, I resolved this.  It appears USE_APXS is incompatible with DYNAMIC,
producing the results I posted previously. I don't know whether this
reflects a true incompatibility in the code or not.  Someone might want to
add a warning - particularly since DYNAMIC is the only switch that turns
on all the APIs without turning on everything (perl_ssi was the one I
didn't want turned on).  Or allow switches to override EVERYTHING.
   In addition, if you do a make clean after such a build, then
reconfigure without turning DYNAMIC on, you get a similar problem, but in
Connection/ (Apache/ is made without error).  (I tested this in a freshly
unarchived source dir).

Thanks for the time,
Lynn