Chris Winters wrote:

> I'm jazzed to announce the public release of OpenInteract, an
> extensible web application framework using mod_perl and the Template
> Toolkit as its core technologies.

Hi Chris,

I've been reading the docs for the last couple of days and it looks very
interesting.  It's great to see a well-documented open source project.
I have a couple of specific questions, which I guess are really about
SPOPS more than OpenInteract.

First, how much control do I have over what gets loaded when in objects
with dependencies?  For example, if I have an object with relationships
to other objects, some of which are expensive to fetch from the
database, can I defer certain parts from loading until I actually use
them?

Second, how hard is it to override the default load/save stuff in a
SPOPS object in order to do some fancy SQL?  I've had situations before
with O/R mappers where I want to use some more complex SQL for
efficiency reasons (optimizer hints, etc.) or to load a set of objects
at once (like a tree structure).  Is that possible with SPOPS?

Finally, if I'm using a SQL database, what support is provided for
evolving the data model?  Do I have to change my schema and write
conversion scripts every time I change an object attribute, or does
SPOPS try to use some sort of "generic" schema?

And just out of curiosity, are you familiar with any of the similar
projects that others have worked on, like Iaido (formerly Iaijutsu) or
Jellybean?

- Perrin