On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Tuesday 6 February 2001, at 21 h 57, the keyboard of Chris Winters
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I'm jazzed to announce the public release of OpenInteract, an
> > extensible web application framework using mod_perl and the Template
> > Toolkit as its core technologies.
>
> Anyone compared it to Zope <http://www.zope.org/>? I'm hesitating.

Zope has a built-in concept of folders that allows you to use it as a sort
of lame content management thing out of the box, i.e. you can edit pages
and site structure through a web browser.  (And there are other protocols
like FTP that are supposed to work, although I haven't tried them.)
OpenInteract doesn't seem to have an equivalent.  Zope provides its own
file-based database and indexer, while OpenInteract expects you to use an
external database of some kind.  OpenInteract has pretty solid-looking
documentation.  The Zope docs are a disaster, although a forthcoming book
may improve that situation.  Some of Zope's most interesting ideas - like
Z Classes, a way to define object types at runtime through a web interface
- seem cumbersome to work with or have odd restrictions.  OpenInteract has
no equivalent that I could see.

In short, Zope wants to be more, but currently is difficult to figure
out.  That could be just my Perl experience, but I understood more of
OpenInteract in half an hour than I did with Zope after several tries over
the last few years.

- Perrin