That did it!  The aliases problem is solved!  Thanks!

Before:
        Alias => {
                [ '/images' => "$vhosts_root/domain/images" ],
                [ '/css' => "$vhosts_root/domain/css" ],
        }

Now:
        Alias => [
                [ '/images' => "$vhosts_root/domain/images" ],
                [ '/css' => "$vhosts_root/domain/css" ],
        ]

Now I've got to figure out what's going on with authentication... it's not
picking up the auth vars.  But with the Alias problem fixed, I'm feeling
much better about it.  Thanks!

Perhaps an Alias example could be added to the docs somewhere?