On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 07:37:32PM -0400, Brian wrote:

> > it seems to me you're conflating your goal and your means of achieving
> > it.
>
> I don't think I'm conflating the goal and the means.  At least I don't see
> how I am....

well, perhaps that wasn't the best way to put it.

> > this is certainly possible by generating your configuration files
> > using a perl script, outside of using mod_perl.
>
> Aaah, but you see that would create a bunch of configuration files or make
> one huge configuration file.  My method would eliminate all but one
> configuration file (httpd.conf) and use our billing database to create the
> configuration files.  That way when a client is deactivated in the DB it's
> automatically deactivated in apache the next time it's HUP'ed.  Yeah, I
> could write a separate perl script to go in, find the line that says
> "Include /www/conf/viraul/domain.conf" and then pound it out and restart the
> server.  I can also write a perl script to create all the config files for
> me.  But why not do both in the config file if possible?

and the suggestion perrin made would have basically the same result.
your configuration file would be a template, basically, that was
expanded into the real configuration file that is then read by the
apache process. it is very close to what you are doing, without
introducing the vagaries of getting mod_perl and mod_rewrite
to cooperate.

you would have to do a "run config template expander && HUP" instead
of just doing a HUP of the apache parent process, but that doesn't
seem like a big deal to me.

> It's all written, only problem is the mod_rewrite directives.  Any ideas on
> how to do them in a <Perl> directive?  Thanks in advance.

nope.

jim