On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I recently began to experience many lingering
> mod_perl processes which slow down my tcp connection.
>
> I use Apache::Registry for all my mod_perl need.
> Not the "real" handler.
>
> The practical solution I found was to cut down the
> number MaxRequestPerChild and kill off the processes
> after a few requests.
>
> I understand that Apache::PerlRun has the overhead
> of compiling each script with a new request.  I would
> like to know whether there is a compilation overhead
> if I set say MaxRequestsPerChild 1  ??

Not if you preload your scripts at the server startup. But then you pay
the price of the time to spawn a new process, which has a very little
overhead under low load since Apache preforks processes (assuming that you
have MaxSpareServers set to a reasonable number). Under very high load
your machine will spend a lot of CPU, spawning processes, which is not
good.

> I was also thinking that because the script is loaded
> from the disk with each request there will be performance
> degradation because of disk data ransfer rate will be
> order of magnitude less than if the script were
> to remain in the memory all the time.

true, see above

> That leads me to think about using very cool RAMFS that
> comes linux-2.4.  What does everyone think about using
> RAMFS to reduce the performance degradation due to
> I have over 100 scripts altogether but the total size of them
> is less than 1 MB and I have plenty of memory.

don't. preload the code at the server startup.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://apachetoday.com http://eXtropia.com/