On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 07:19:25PM +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
> > if I set say MaxRequestsPerChild 1  ??
>
> Not if you preload your scripts at the server startup. But then you pay
> the price of the time to spawn a new process, which has a very little
> overhead under low load since Apache preforks processes (assuming that you
> have MaxSpareServers set to a reasonable number). Under very high load
> your machine will spend a lot of CPU, spawning processes, which is not
> good.

I have lots of custom modules that I preload with "startup.pl".

Still I have many "scripts" that run under Apache::Registry.
Not exactly sure how to preload these scripts.  I have the following
directive
--------------------
PerlTaintCheck On
<IfModule mod_perl.c>
<Location />

#  PerlSetVar PerlRunOnce On

SetHandler perl-script
PerlRequire /home/apache/modperl/startup.pl
PerlHandler Apache::Registry

#  PerlSendHeader On

  Options +ExecCGI
</Location>
</IfModule>
------------
Note: this is a dedicated mod_perl server and I'm not serving
any static pages.
-----

Document root / contains 100 perl scripts.

I preload 40 modules (of which 29 is my own
custom modules) in startup.pl as
explained in your guide.

So I guess I don't understand what you mean by
preloading "scripts".  One of the reasons
I like having 100 scripts in document root
with Apache::Registry is that I can modify
them at any time and I don't have restart
the server.  This is also one of the reasons
I don't bother with the "real" handler.

Thanks