At 02:29 PM 6/18/2001 +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:
>Gunther Birznieks wrote:

> > >I suppose I could do this now by having a front-end proxy, and mini-Apache
> > >configs for each "group" I want, but that seems to be going too far
> (at this
> > >stage), especially if the functionality already exists to do this
> within the
> > >one server.
>
>To me, this isn't very ideal. Even sharing most of an apache configuration
>file, what is the overhead of running a separate server? And can multiple

I think this is covered in the guide.

>Apache servers share writing to the same log files?

Why would you need to? The front end can write the log file. Then don't
bother logging the mod_perl servers. Or make them all log to syslog or some
other shared logging mechanism.

>It also doesn't help if I have dozens of possible groupings - running
>dozens of
>slightly different Apache's doesn't seem a clean solution. Hence me asking if
>it was possible within the one Apache server to prioritise the allocation to
>specific daemons, based on some criteria, which would be a more efficient and
>dynamic solution, if it's possible.

It's not ideal, but it's also not possible to do what you say until
mod_perl 2.0.

You might also consider using Speedy::CGI if you aren't using handlers as
it makes the multiple configs issue much more trivial to administer, but
you still get a pretty fast speed up.