Joachim Zobel wrote:

> At 14:33 19.06.2001 +0530, you wrote:
> >Is there something in SSI which cant be done in a better way using Perl
> >??
>
> Yes.
>
> 1. SSI with XBitHack full plays the 304 game for me. Every time the catalog
> database is updated, its SSI frame gets a touch. Thats it. Simple. Efficient.
>
> 2. SSI provides a way to modularize "static" HTML. I have lots of small
> HTML snippets. Many of them are generated by a content manager. These
> snippets are put together using SSI.
>
> 3. Performance.
>
> The main drawback of using SSI is that you mess up error handling. If an
> included script generates an error, the 200 has already been sent. This is
> the price I have to pay for the fact, that normally while the script is
> still running, the browser is already displaying the pages header table.
>
> Joachim

Exactly. Most of our site is done using SSI's. However we are in the
process of moving to EmbperlObject [1], so that more HTML can be reused,
inheritance can be done, and our developers can spatter bits of code
here and there if required quite easily.  By adding one line of [! !]
code to the top of the content of the page, they can override the
default things in the <title> and the header of the page (which is a
different object). We are really loving HTML::EmbperlObject and
HTML::Embperl. It makes for a cleaner way of modularizing static HTML,
integrating dynamically generated HTML, provide error handling, and tap
into the power and speed of mod_perl. Give it a try. Give it a try... it
is worth it, and won't require a lot of work to migrate to it.

[1] http://perl.apache.org/embperl
[2] http://take23.org/articles/2001/02/07/embperlobject.xml

--

Regards,