Tom Servo wrote:

> > i am tasked with the job of integrating "Ultimate Bulletin Board" (or
> > "UBB", from http://www.infopop.com) into a client's site.  they have an
> > 2. any problems with it under mod_perl?  I have it running fine under
> > PerlRun but I am not so sure it'll behave under Registry.
>
> I believe we ran it under PerlRun as well, but Registry I remember having
> some issues with.   I'm sure that it can be tweaked to run under Registry,
> but as you said, the code is so horrific that after a couple of hours of
> pouring over that madness, I decided that I preferred jamming nails into
> my forehead as opposed to trying to get it to work right.   This was an
> old version, btw, about 1 year old from now, so maybe things are better.

A friend of mine runs a community server that runs various sites.  The
server has decent hardware and gets a medium amount of traffic. However,
one of the sites is running a UBB. It's causing a ton of disk I/O,
driving up the load to a consistent 3 or 4. I've tried getting it to run
under Registry as well, with little success. Basically my conclusion was
that it needs a good rewrite, to properly use an SQL database and
caching. Each page should be loading in .01 seconds, not 2-3 seconds. I
believe it was the lastest version that we were working with as well.
UBB is easy to use... to bad the code isn't.

This reminds me of Bugzilla. It is plain nasty to debug and extend that
code, never mind to get it to run under Registry.

--

Regards,

Wim Kerkhoff, Software Engineer
Merilus, Inc.  -|- http://www.merilus.com