To all who responded to my original post about UBB: thanks.  Thanks to all
the great feedback, we have decided to punt UBB and are using wwwthreads
instead.

>>> you might want to look into vBulletin, it is used on a lot of different
>>> sites is written in php with a MySQL back end and looks very similar to
>>> UBB.
>>
>>yes, but as an engineer i can't condone the use of PHP, sorry...
>You might want to consider WWWThreads (http://www.wwwthreads.com/). Code
>is simple to read/understand, and it works out of the box under
>Apache::Registry.

ok, so now I am using wwwthreads and although the code is cleaner, it's
still pretty ugly.  there's SQL embedded all throughout the perl everywhere
(who does this?! oh my god, are they on crack?), not to mention the HTML
embedded all throughout the perl (are they on glue?), so it's pretty much a
dog's breakfast of code and written by a script hacker who at least knew
enough to write neat, well-commented rubbish.

having said all that, it's much cheaper than UBB, far superior in overall
design, and DB-driven... and it works beautifully, so i can't complain too
much. :-)

still makes my life miserable integrating it with an existing
user-database... i wish programming were like driving; people should be
licensed to program.

cheerz

kyle
Software Engineer