On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, kyle dawkins wrote:

> 1. the quality of [perl] code in UBB is so phenomenally bad i can't
> believe people pay money for it.  i can't believe it works (but it
> does).  has anyone else ever "experienced" it?  i guess i need a support
> group... it makes me cry and cuts me to the bone when i think that there
> are actually people out there who think that code like this is good.  oh
> my god. it should be drop-kicked off the planet.

At mp3.com, we ran UBB for the first year or so and ended up totally
rewriting the bottom end to make it perform better and actually make it
semi-secure. Finally we ended up getting rid of it for some other in house
code.

you might want to look into vBulletin, it is used on a lot of different
sites is written in php with a MySQL back end and looks very similar to
UBB.

> 2. any problems with it under mod_perl?  I have it running fine under
> PerlRun but I am not so sure it'll behave under Registry.

Our old version was written in perl 4 and definately wasn't able to be
run under mod_perl. We actually fork()/exec()'d like mad for the first
year, UBB looked nice, but is hell underneath.

Cheers,

--
Sander van Zoest                                         [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Covalent Technologies, Inc.                           http://www.covalent.net/