All,

In his closing comments about UBB Kyle Dawkins made a statement that got me
wondering. He said "there's SQL embedded all throughout the Perl everywhere
(who does this?! oh my god, are they on crack?)". This comment got me
wondering about alternatives to embedding SQL in to the code of a program.
Alternatives I see are to use stored procedures which would limit one to
using a certain DB server (or to be proficient in many servers and write
stored procedures for all server flavors which would mean one is a very busy
Perl and SQL guru) or possibly storing the embedded SQL in some sort of
external file structure accessible via storable, XML::Simple or some other
means.

It would be interesting to know how other people have solved that problem.
Currently, we are essentially using embedded SQL in our apps.

Thanks in advance.

--Joe Breeden