* Joe Breeden ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [010801 10:25]:
> All,
>
> In his closing comments about UBB Kyle Dawkins made a statement that got me
> wondering. He said "there's SQL embedded all throughout the Perl everywhere
> (who does this?! oh my god, are they on crack?)". This comment got me
> wondering about alternatives to embedding SQL in to the code of a program.
> Alternatives I see are to use stored procedures which would limit one to
> using a certain DB server (or to be proficient in many servers and write
> stored procedures for all server flavors which would mean one is a very busy
> Perl and SQL guru) or possibly storing the embedded SQL in some sort of
> external file structure accessible via storable, XML::Simple or some other
> means.
>
> It would be interesting to know how other people have solved that problem.
> Currently, we are essentially using embedded SQL in our apps.

As others have mentioned, one way would be to wrap your records in
objects and have access, queries, etc. be centralized
there. <plug>SPOPS (Simple Perl Object Persistence with Security) does
this for you and gives you object linking and high-level database
independence for free. It's on CPAN.</plug>

Chris

--
Chris Winters ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Building enterprise-capable snack solutions since 1988.