I wasn't clear enough... My point was more "six one way, half dozen the
other".  For a public package, keeping dependancies down to a minimum is a
bonus, as well as keeping performance up by not having to pre-process html
looking for perl code.  It can come down to a choice between
maintainability and better performance (to whatever degree).  I don't see
any glue-sniffing symptoms from choosing embedded html in perl over
embedded perl in html.

Jay