On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 06:47:23PM +0100, Ged Haywood wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Philip Mak wrote:
>
> > When I have multiple virtual hosts running Apache::ASP (mod_perl), do they
> > need to run their own instance of Apache?
>
> If one Apache is listening to port 80 then no others can.  This is why
> you will get an error message when you try to start an Apache when
> there is already one listening on the port(s) that the newly starting
> Apache tries to bind to.  If you want to run more than one Apache
> server instance then they all have to listen on different ports.  So
> you could for example do some URL-based redirecting with a proxy
> listening on 80 and handing requests to other instances which are
> listening on other ports, or something like that - a bit like having a
> light/heavy server pair (see the Guide) but for different reasons.

Only one instance of apache can bind to the same port *on the same IP*.

By having one server answer to multiple IP addresses (on one or many
network interface cards) you can have as many apache instances as you have
IP addresses (not forgetting 127.0.0.1 if you're so inclined).

Depending on the O/S you may also consider (I have and have dismissed it
as too troublesome) running apache on different ports and using
transparent port mapping such that

--> IP address 1 : 80 --> local port 8000
--> IP address 2 : 80 --> local port 8001
--> IP address 3 : 80 --> local port 8002

Dave

--

- Dave Baker  :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  :  http://dsb3.com/ -
GnuPG:  1024D/D7BCA55D / 09CD D148 57DE 711E 6708  B772 0DD4 51D5 D7BC A55D