On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 12:13:37PM -0600, Jonathan Edwards wrote:
> Related to this topic, I have a question about multiple instances of Apache.
> We run two mod_perl enabled sites on two separate IPs. These sites rely on
> mod_perl heavily. Each site has a unique perl script that handles just about
> everything. Currently, we only have one instance of Apache running, and I've
> noticed that the httpd child processes are quite large (up to 32megs!).
> We've upgraded the RAM on our server twice and now we're at 512, but it
> seems to be using all of that without a problem. Are these httpd processes
> so large because they include copies of both perl scripts? Would it be more
> efficient to set up two instances of Apache, one for each site/IP, and that
> way each child httpd would only contain one of the two perl scripts?

Compare the memory requirement two sets of perl scripts against the
memory requirement of doubling the total number of apache processes.

My personal opinion is that the latter will be a lot more expensive in
resources.  You might do better do work to optimize/minimize the total
number of mod_perl instances (separate, lightweight server for images and
static content; turn off keep_alive unless it's definately giving positive
results; etc).

How many apache children do you normally have running at any given time?

Dave

p.s. The processes could also be large because of suboptimal coding, or (if
they grow over time) memory leaks

p.p.p.s. love the palm pilot cases ...

--

- Dave Baker  :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  :  http://dsb3.com/ -
GnuPG:  1024D/D7BCA55D / 09CD D148 57DE 711E 6708  B772 0DD4 51D5 D7BC A55D