Thank you for everyone's support....
My problem was that I was reading suggestions like "don't change your CGI
script as Apache::DBI persistance connection is fully transparent..."
too literally....

The pre-requsite to this mod_perl is to have your CGI scripts run under
a special mod_perl directory....yes, I read that in the Eagle book, but
in Chapter 2, and by the time I got to the meating things, had forgotton
this prereq....

Note to Author of Apache::DBI, could you please add a brief comment in
this regard to your "Configuration" section. Also, in your document,
you keep referring to eg/startup.pl. I don't think we get that with just
a binary (or RPM install)...

Anyways...overall I was at fault for not re-re-read documents....