OK, here's what I've found:

If I install Apache::Sizelimit as a cleanup handler, neither
Apache::SizeLimit::exit_if_too_big() or CGI::_reset_globals() are ever
called. CGI::initialize_globals (which is what _reset_globals calls) is
called once, at compile time for CGI.pm.

When I removed Apache::Sizelimit as a cleanup handler, _reset_globals is
called normally, and my original symptom disappears.

If I put Apache::SizeLimit in as a FixupHandler CGI::_reset_globals() is
called as expected, as is Apache::SizeLimit::exit_if_too_big() and my
own FixupHandler's handler routine.

Does this help?

Alex

--