Derek Balling wrote:

> >Run your httpd in -X mode without the help of the apachectl start
> >script.  You can get that under gdb. -X mode runs in single
> >process mode, and is most handy for diagnosing problems such
> >as these.
>
> I guess I'm dense:
>
> # ../bin/httpd -X -f conf/httpd.conf.mod_perl
> Segmentation fault
>
> how is this more helpful? ;)
>
> Pretend like I'm NOT some C-code guru, and explain to me what I need
> to do, because it doesn't seem like doing what the docs say is
> helping. *chuckle*

unix prompt> gdb ../bin/httpd
... gdb header stuff ...
(gdb) run -X -f conf/httpd.conf.mod_perl
Segfault
(gdb) bt
!!! UGLY STACK TRACE TO FOLLOW !!!

This *MIGHT* give the real gurus on the list something
to work with.  Its how I have debugged many a segfault
in my day.  This or something like it.  You can also
load up a core dump with gdb, but I can't remember
the last time I did that, so I have no real directions
here, but its probably just

prompt> gdb core
(gdb) bt
[ find out where it segfaulted ]