Matthew Kennedy wrote:
> Secondly, I've worked on a good-sized commerce site with
> mod_perl+HTML::Mason. One of the more dirty secrets is that the back-end
> of the site involves several standalone perl programs running as
> daemons. What's even worse is; most of them have to sit in poll/wait
> loops waiting on message from external systems (such as pop3 servers,
> ccvs etc.)

Why exactly is that a dirty secret?  I've been thinking about writing one or two
standalone poe daemons to handle interfacing with other systems, and it doesn't
seem like such a bad idea.  Code to talk to or listen to web clients can be in
mod_perl, and code to talk to other systems can be outside.  I've even thought
about taking some of the database objects out of mod_perl, but am less sure
about doing that.

Is anyone else using independent perl processes in a web app, or have strong
reasons not to?