On Mon, 2001-10-22 at 20:14, Robert Koberg wrote:

> > For comparions, a nice aspect of j2ee applications IMHO is the
> > "application server" tends to be more general. ie. the application
> > server is not just the web server (as it is with mod_perl). I've found
> > j2ee features such as message beans, queues and such especially useful
> > for back-end work. For these reasons, I personally don't buy the
> > argument that mod_perl makes an effective application server for a good
> > sized task (your mileage will vary no doubt ;).> >
>
> What is stopping you from using both, if you want?

Actually, I already do -- but not at the same time. The criteria I
personally use is basically this: if the task doesn't involve more than
one or two disparate system to be talked to, and a two tier model
(apache and a rdbms for example) fits the problem well, then I'll chose
Perl (mod_perl, Mason and *sometimes* ORBit's Perl bindings). If the app
is to talk to a number of disparate systems and a variety of client
types (stand alone app, web, wireless etc.) then generally I'll use the
a J2EE app server etc. Of course there are will be exceptions.

ORBit is a corba orb, BTW.

Matt

--
pgp: http://www.geocities.com/matthewbk/pubkeyw.txt