> What I'd love to see is the avg spec and numbers of machines in each
> section.  So how many proxy, mod_perl and search servers were required to
> give the phenomenal performance you managed to achieve.

Well, this was a long time ago (I wrote the article over a year ago), and I
don't remember exactly.  The proxy machines were pretty basic, the search
servers were heavy on CPU power, and the mod_perl servers were heavy on RAM.
There were a lot of machines in the cluster, but I don't remember exactly
how many and it changed over time.  There were dozens of mod_perl servers
when the cluster was at its biggest.  Most of them were idle for the
majority of the time, but they were all needed for the occasional peak load.

I remember at one point I was feeling embarrassed about the number of
machines and I told one of our sysadmins that it might have been a better
strategy to get a big Sun box or two instead.  He replied that a Sun box
with equivalent power would have cost about 10 times as much as what we paid
for our rackmounted Intel machines.  After that, I didn't worry about it too
much.

- Perrin