On 10/27/01 12:01 PM, Steven Lembark sat at the `puter and typed:
> > . . .
>
> Quick hack for the moment:
>
>     PerlSetVar Blah "A long line with<br>HTML<br>Breaks In It";
>
> that or set the thing and use:
>
>     s/<br>/\n/gs;
>
> somewhere in the code.

Pretty cool.  I am already doing a hash substitution for tags of the
form _TAG_, so I just added the following to the end of the hash:

_BR_  => "\n"

and that does the trick!

In case any one cares, my substitution now goes as follows:

my %config = {
              _TAG1_ => $var1,
              _TAG2_ => $var2,
              _TAG3_ => $var3,
              _TAG4_ => $var4,
. . .
              _TAGn_ => $varn,
              _BR_   => "\n"
             };

my $tagRE = join '|', keys %config;

$alert_message =~ s/($tagRE)/$config{$1}/g;

And it works like a charm.  Shoulda thought of that myself.

Thanks!
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Die, v.:
  To stop sinning suddenly.
    -- Elbert Hubbard