> > My current solution is to "touch index.asp" in the port 80 DocumentRoot
> > and have "DirectoryIndex index.asp" so that it knows to ProxyPass those
> > requests. I'd have to "touch index.asp" manually for every directory,
> > though. Is there a better way around this?

> RewriteRule ^/$ http://127.0.0.1:8001/ [p]

That would only pass the main directory; it won't take care of this
problem for the subdirectories.

> Why do you use RewriteRule instead of ProxyPass ?
> ProxyPass    /    http://127.0.0.1:8081/
> Or do you have static files that you don't want to pass to mod_perl ?

I have static files that I don't want to pass to mod_perl.

> RewriteRule ^(.*)/$   http://127.0.0.1:8001$1/index.asp [p]

That looks like it will ProxyPass every directory to the mod_perl enabled
httpd. It would make index.html not work anymore, though. I think the
optimal solution would:

- display index.html if it is present in the non-mod_perl web directory
- else display index.asp if it is present in the mod_perl web directory
- else display a directory listing (if Options +Indexes is on)

I'm thinking that this is not possible, at least not without having to
make some really ugly configuration hack?

> You can try with my mod_accel:
> ftp://ftp.lexa.ru/pub/apache-rus/contrib/mod_accel-1.0.6.tar.gz
>
> AccelCacheRoot  cache
> AccelNoCache    on
> AccelPass       /          http://127.0.0.1:8081/
> AccelNoPass     ~*\.jpg$   ~*\.gif$

Hmm, so that would pass any URL that doesn't end in .jpg or .gif. While
not semantically equivalent to what I'm doing, I think it would actually
work for my case (I just have to specify what extensions NOT to pass).