yeah, I read that and didn't understand the how patch he offered worked here
at all.

IIRC, I ran a test with only httpd.conf.default with only these additions

PerlModule My::Foo

then

package My::Foo;
warn "initializing...";

in lib/perl and I got 'initializing' on each restart.  no Apache::ReadConfig
going on here.

I may have time to test this again today, but if someone else could verify,
that would be great.

--Geoff