Hi everyone,

I'm working on a mod_perl application called OpenTMS
(<http://sourceforge.net/projects/opentms/>). It uses a set of modules in
the OpenTMS namespace for general functions, and the rest is handled by
Apache::Registry scripts. I might also add some Apache Perl handlers in the
future. Right now I'm wondering about the installation routines I should adopt.

Right now, the directory structure is like this:
lib/
         OpenTMS.pm
         OpenTMS/
                 rest of the modules
scripts/
         Apache::Registry scripts
docs/
         Documentation

I tried searching for the right way to run a Makefile.PL/make/make
test/install installation, but I couldn't find anything. I would like to
get the modules installed into @INC somewhere, and the scripts into a
directory which is handled by mod_perl. Is there any standard way of doing
this? I couldn't find it documented anywhere, and think that it would be a
good addition to the docs. Also, should OpenTMS.pm reside in lib/OpenTMS/,
and the OpenTMS::* in lib/OpenTMS/OpenTMS/ or can they stay like they are now?

I have some other questions too:

testing: I guess that this might be complicated, but I know it's being
done. Any pointers?

configuration: How should I document/automate how the Apache server should
be configured?

Other automation on Makefile.PL: Do you have any pointers to tutorials in
customizing Makefile.PL? For example, would it be feasible to have it ask
for a database name/username/password and install the databases automatically?

Registering the namespace: is there any point in registering the namespace
for such an application?

Bundle:: : How would I have to specify in a bundle package that mod_perl
must be installed.

I think it would be good for mod_perl to have some documentation concerning
the packaging of complete applications, instead of just Apache:: modules.
If I have the time, I might write an addition to the guide/a separate
document based on what I find out here.

Thank you in advance,

--
Per Einar Ellefsen