> What do you suggest as a good benchmark tool to use that would be
> 'smart' when testing a whole complete site.

For pounding a bunch of URLs, the best are ab, httperf, and http_load.  If
you need something fancier that tests a complex series of actions and
this list, but I haven't tried any of them myself so I can't comment on
them.  They will not scale as easilly as the first three I mentioned though,
so if you need to test hundreds of requests per second with them you will
need multiple machines to run the clients on.

- Perrin