On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Perrin Harkins wrote:

> > It all depends on what kind of application do you have. If you code is
> > CPU-bound these seemingly insignificant optimizations can have a very
> > significant influence on the overall service performance.
>
> Do such beasts really exist?  I mean, I guess they must, but I've never
> seen a mod_perl application that was CPU-bound.  They always seem to be
> constrained by database speed and memory.

Think search engines.  Once you've figured out how to get your search
database to fit in memory (or devised a cachin strategy to get the
important parts there) you're essentially looking at a CPU-bound problem.
These days the best solution is probably some judicious use of Inline::C.
Back when I last tackled the problem I had to hike up mount XS to find my
grail...

-sam